Friday, November 25, 2011

The American Dream

       I have spectacular news!  Upton Sinclair just published his book called The Jungle.  I bought it and read it in one night.  I encourage everyone to go out and read it. 
       I have been interviewing random people on the streets of Chicago, and so far all of them have bought the book and read it.  I talked to one woman who decided to switch to vegetarianism until something is done to make the meat safer to eat.  Another claims he will never eat beef or pork again.  I received a telegraph from Sinclair saying that he was going to write a letter to the United States government, demanding meat sanitation laws. 
        It turns out the government listened.  The Pure Food and Drug Act was just commissioned yesterday.  The sanitation of food has been greatly improved, thanks to muckrakers!  Upton Sinclair has stated that he will continue to be an investigative journalist and also continue to write more reports and novels.  So be sure to look for him on the shelves in the near future!
        I also recieved good news from the east coast last week.  Jacob Riis sent me a book called How the Other Half Lives.  He also attached a letter stating that he had great success in publishing the book.  He told me that they were almost impossible to keep on the store shelves because everyone wanted a copy.  He had written a brilliant book that incorporated superior journalism and outstanding photography, all from that day we went down to investigate the slums of New York.  
         I was very suprised to hear that even our president , Teddy Roosevelt, had read his book and was now doing something to improve housing and sanitation in the slums.
         This has been such an exciting week!  I hope muckraking will continue on this positive path.  It has been so helpful in supporting the progressive movement.  I think I am living the american dream, because I feel as though I have helped so many people, and that I have  been influenced by them to.  So to all of you reading this, are you living the dream too?


No comments:

Post a Comment